Yoga at Home
Doing yoga at home has its advantages and disadvantages. Finding daily motivation could be a disadvantage, if you let it, but you can easily over come that.
Yes, I must admit I find it difficult to find daily motivation at times. You get busy, life happens, and obligations need to be met.
The best way to maintain motivation for doing yoga at home is to follow these simple points:
- You don't always need to do the same routine everyday. Keep variety in the routines create long routines for the days you have the time. For those days that are too hectic promise yourself that you will do a short yoga routine, perhaps just a few of your favorite yoga moves.
- Carve out time, I find the early morning is best. It will become part of your morning ritual and help you get a good start on the day.
- Learn yoga Sun Salutation, it targets your entire body and can be done in a few minutes.
- At work take a minute or 2 to do simple yoga stretches. You can also do some chair yoga moves to help break the tension of sitting at a desk all day.
- Most importantly do not put pressure on yourself or feel guilty if you have days when you simple can't do a long yoga routine. Remember it's quality not quantity that counts.
- Lastly don't forget to set the mood find some music to play and incense to burn.
I had a yoga instructor that admitted to us that juggling family and business obligations didn't always give her time or ambition to do her usual long routines, so she would just do 1 or 2 of her favorite yoga moves first thing in the morning. Of course teaching classes was to her advantage, but she did stress the fact that sometimes we just don't have the time and just taking a few minutes to do some simple yoga stretches is just fine.
The Advantages of Doing Yoga at Home
- You set the time and place.
- You determine the level of each routine.
- You are completely in control.
If you are like me and commute to work everyday you don't feel like getting into the car again to drive to another location for classes.
The big advantage to doing yoga at home is that no matter what kind of weather the day brings, especially those cold snowy winter days, you don't have to brave the elements to get to a class. You are safe and snug in your own comfy home.
You can also wear those old comfy sweatpants with the holes in them if you want, after all no ones going to see you!
It's all up to you, but I bet once you get into your own routine you will be able to maintain your daily motivation.
There are lots of wonderful books and DVDs out there for all levels of experience. Take advantage of them you will not regret it once you find the right combination for you.
Please see my resources page for some great books!
Return to Yoga Benefits from Yoga at Home.
Living Words of Wisdom. com