Yoga Sun Salutation
Yoga Sun Salutation is an excellent all encompassing routine for people on the go. It is also a wonderful energizer to start your day.
Practicing this 12 posture routine daily can and will bring great benefit to your body, mind, and spirit. It has all of the yoga benefits rolled up into one smooth flowing routine.
When practiced smoothly and consciously Yoga Sun Salutation will give you a complete stretching and strengthening routine and help you experience the overall health benefits of yoga.
• Improves muscle flexibility.
• Builds strength.
• Helps reduce fat.
• Thoroughly ventilates the lungs, and oxygenates the blood.
• Strengthens abdominal muscles.
• Tones up the digestive system by the alternate stretching and compression of abdominal organs.
• Makes the spine and waist flexible.
• Broadens chest and beautifies arms.
• Lends grace and ease of movements to the body.
• Revives and maintains the spirit of youthfulness.
Begin with one to three rounds a day and then gradually build up to as many rounds as you feel comfortable doing.
This is an especially good practice to do when time is limited. You can do as many rounds as you have time for and still get the benefits.
Here is an illustration and explanation of each posture.
1. Stand feet parallel and hip width apart with palms together in front of your chest.
2. Allow your fingertips to rise overhead. Push hips forward and bend backwards.
3. Come up and extend your body forward bending at your hips while raising your tailbone. Bring palms or fingertips to the floor next to your feet.
4. Bend your left leg and position your right leg back in a lunge position.
5. Bring your left foot back next to your right foot, keeping arms straight.
6. Bend your knees and lower your knees, chest, and chin to the floor.
7. Sweep your chest and chin upward, straightening your arms
8. Lift your tailbone, allowing your hips to rise while pressing palms and feet into the floor.
9. Bend your right leg bringing your left foot back into a lunge position.
10. Straighten your right leg bring your left foot forward beside the right foot, keep palms to the floor while raising the tailbone.
11. Slowly come up bringing palms overhead. Push hips forward and bend back.
12. Come back to standing position with palms together in front of your chest.
Most Important: Remember to breathe! The rule of thumb concerning breathing in yoga is to breathe in on the backward bends and breathe out on the forward bends. Also be sure to check with your doctor before beginning any exercise practice, especially if you have any special health concerns.
Download these free printable yoga exercises.
The Yoga Sun Salutation routine can also be a great warm-up to your longer yoga routine or in preparation for any sport.
Once you have the routine down you can speed up the movements, being sure to keep your form, to get an aerobic workout as well.
Even insomniacs have found it beneficial in working out the tensions of the day.
Whether you want to use the Yoga Sun Salutation as your one and only yoga practice; use it as a warm-up, or as an energizer, you will benefit from this all around body workout routine.
Return to Yoga Benefits from Yoga Sun Salutation
Living Words of Wisdom. com